Lookup Warrants and Arrests in High Point, North Carolina. Results Include: Arrest Records, Police Report, Warrants, Mugshot, Type of Crime, Warrant Number, Bond Amount, Race, DOB, Address

High Point North Carolina Police Station Address: 1009 Leonard Ave, High Point, NC 27260, United States

20 hours ago
A huge thank you to Iglesia Church of Christ for your visit today and continued support. #HPPD #CommunityEngagement https://t.co/krHzT6LFw7

HighPointPolice photo

High Point Police Department

The High Point Police Department Facebook Page is NOT monitored 24-hours a day. If you need immediate assistance, dial 911. To report a crime not in progress, call the non-emergency line at (336) 883-3224. To file a complaint or inquire about police procedures, please contact the Professional Standards Unit at (336) 887-7973. To apply for a position, contact our Recruiting Office at (336) 887-7930.
High Point Police Department

High Point Police Department3 days ago

National Poison Prevention Week

To help stop 💊 drugs from falling into the wrong 🖐🏼, @HighPointPolice is partnering with @Publix to hold a 💊 drug take-back event on March 22 from 1pm to 4pm in accordance with National Poison Prevention Week. #HPPD #PoisonPreventionWeek #PublixofHP

High Point Police Department

High Point Police Department shared their post.4 days ago

High Point Police Department

High Point Police Department4 days ago

Coffee With A Cop @ Sheetz on South Main St
Wednesday, March 21st from 9am to 11am

The High Point Police Department has partnered with Sheetz to host this year’s Coffee With A Cop events. Our goal with these events is to bring High Point Police Officers and the community we serve together for conversations and information sharing. #HPPD #HPPDintheCity #SheetzofHP

High Point Police Department

High Point Police Department5 days ago

HIGH POINT — School resource officers find their roles in schools include more than providing a law enforcement presence.

They’re a listening ear, someone students seek out for advice, coaches, workout partners, role models and most often, they’re simply just a friend to a student who might be having a bad day.

For both officers Karen Shearer and Omarr Byrom, trust trumps everything when it comes to being a school resource officer.

“That’s the No. 1 thing for me,” said Shearer, who is assigned to Penn-Griffin School for the Arts. “About 90 percent of my job is being an auntie or a mom figure or being a nurse because they don’t feel well. It’s being a person they can talk to if their mom isn’t around because she works several jobs. It’s eating lunch with them while they tell me about their weekend. That’s really what it is more than it’s law enforcement.”

The High Point Police Department has eight officers in its SRO Unit with each assigned to a specific middle or high school. The officers’ primary responsibility is school safety. However, Shearer and Byrom said it’s much more.

For Byrom, a 10-year veteran of the department, being in the schools is an assignment he’s always wanted.

During Byrom’s first five years with the department, he was assigned to Beat 1, which was east of Brentwood Street and included E. MLK Jr. Drive and the Triangle Lake Road area. The area is one that typically see a higher number of calls for service.

“I dealt with a lot of young kids in that five years,” Byrom said. “I always wanted to get to know them, but every time I showed up on patrol it was after something happened. I wanted to know them before that. The best way I saw to do that was by getting in the schools.”

This school year is Byrom’s first as an SRO, but he said he already feels as though he’s made a positive impact on some students.

“I feel like I’ve talked a few out of doing something that could harm themselves or someone else,” he said.

To Shearer, who’s been with the department 12 years and assigned to Penn-Griffin for about four years, being an SRO seemed challenging. But it was a challenge she welcomed.

“In my opinion, that was the most challenging job at the department,” she said. “So, it’s a job I wanted. Kids are a lot smarter than people give them credit. If you’re phony or you’re not genuine, they know. You have to be open and authentic.”

Shearer doesn’t have any children of her own, but if you ask her how many she has, her response is quick.

“I have 600 kids,” she said. “This is a job where you’re building relationships. Every day you’re nurturing those relationships, and a lot of times they last.”

It’s not uncommon for students to stay in contact with Shearer or stop by and visit once they graduate and move on.

For both Shearer and Byrom, their days are pretty similar. They arrive first thing in the morning to welcome students.

At Central, Byrom and his partner, Officer Joe Vetell, arrive at 6 a.m. to work out with students.

Byrom said Vetell started a workout program in the morning where students join them in the school’s gym for about an hour.

“We’ll just work out with the kids and talk,” he said. “They will talk about pretty much everything. During the day, they’ll stop and talk to us and confide in us. Some of them want to tell us about what they’re thinking about doing with their lives and they’ll ask for advice. Some of them, you can tell they’re missing something and they’re looking for it in you. You want to be that positive influence for them and you want to try and guide them in a good direction. Some of them just need a positive role model and someone to talk to.”

Shearer starts her day off in the school’s cafeteria, where all the students meet before the day begins.

“It gives me an opportunity to feel out how the kids are doing,” she said. “You know the pulse of your school. You can tell if a kid is down or if something’s wrong.”

Then Shearer heads to the school’s gym where she plays basketball with students.

The officers are present at lunch, and they walk the halls throughout the day. If a student is disrupting class, Byrom said he’ll go talk to them and try to calm them down and get them back in class. If there’s a fight on campus, the officers break it up. Sometimes, they know a fight may happen before it does and they intervene to stop it.

“Social media starts most of the fights,” Byrom said. “It’s always something they saw on social media and then it spills over into the school and turns into an altercation. There are things that happen in the community that come into the school. The school is a small reflection of the community. If there’s a fight or a shooting that happens off campus, a lot of times those issues spill over onto campus. Those kids hear the word on the street or they know who was involved or something like that and fights start on campus over it. If you know the pulse of your school, you can kind of head that off before something happens.”

Shearer likes to end her day by heading to the car pick-up line and talking to parents.

“I like to socialize with the parents,” she said. “That’s a good opportunity for me to get to know them, too, and they can tell me about a concern they have or ask me questions. It’s a good time to talk to them without being in a formal setting.”

Both Byrom and Shearer agree, being in schools also provides them an opportunity to change the way people see police.

“I wanted to give them a different perspective,” Byrom said. “A lot of them had never talked to a cop unless they were in trouble. I wanted them to know we’re really not all that different, and I wanted to talk to them before they were in trouble. I genuinely want to know these kids. All of us, we want to know our students and we want them to trust us. We want them to come to us with their problems and their issues. We want them to know if they’re having a bad day they can come talk to us. I value their trust, it means a lot to me.”

Their presence in the schools hasn’t only changed students’ perspective of officers, Shearer said. It’s changed the way some teachers see police.

“I’ve had a teacher say to me I changed her perspective,” she said. “She had never really had any interactions with police and she had no interest in it. Now, we’re like sisters.”

Byrom noticed a change at Central in December after a teen fired a shot outside near the school’s cafeteria. The school went into an immediate lockdown as parents lined the street in front of the school waiting to see their children. No one was injured in the shooting, and Officer Joe Vetell was commended for his swift response in securing the school. However, Byrom said it changed the atmosphere at the school of about 1,500 students.

“It’s just been really calm,” he said.

Though it’s about 800 miles from High Point, the shooting last month at a Florida high school where 17 people were killed also had an impact on local students.

“There was a lot of fear,” Byrom said. “We had a lot of students and teachers asking questions. Some teachers wanted me to speak to their classes.”

Shearer said students at Penn-Griffin also had a lot of fear after the Florida school shooting.

“I have more kids being more aware of what other students are saying, how they’re acting or if they’re having a bad day,” Shearer said. “There’s more sensitivity because I think they realize a lot of what had been going on in our country has to do with mental illness.”

Shearer said she’s seen a dramatic increase in students being more aware of things going on around them and with their friends.

“They’re stepping up,” she said. “We can’t see everything that goes on, and the kids are starting to help us more. They’re coming to us more. They know we should all be working together rather than it being us and them. I’ve definitely seen a change in the climate for the better.”

nstewart@hpenews.com | 336-888-3601 | @NatalieLStewart